Sunday, January 11, 2009

My Son's First Marathon


My son who is a natural sprinter would always tell me that he would never endeavor in the task of completing a Marathon. So when he sent me a text message in August of 2007, saying he was going to run the LA Marathon, I was truly shocked. My first reaction was to text back and say, "What have you been drinking?" At this time I was struggling with my training after my surgeries. When I realized he was sober, I text back and said," I'll do it with you".

I felt that this agreement would keep us both inspired. I was struggling with pain, and this was his first event. Since he was training in Columbus, Ohio, the training seem to go well until the freezing weather set in. My son is not the type to run 22 miles on an indoor track or any track for that matter. In his words, "It's too boring". So as you can imagine the text messages and my coaching tips were well taken until the mileage was up to 22 miles. I would text, "22 miles today", and he would reply," I tried but only made it to 16, will try again next week".

One month before the Marathon, the last text he sent was on replay. He never got past 16 miles. When I recommended new shoes one month before the Marathon. His reply was, "My shoes are fine. I don't have time working overtime at MS".

When he arrived in LA the weekend of the Marathon, I could not believe it. He had "nothing". All the items I recommended were never purchased. He had nothing to protect his "Jewels", his shoes were so worn one toe was sticking out, I don't recall if it was the left or the right, all I know it was a sad scene. It was too late to try new shoes, since it is wise and recommended to start breaking them in (1)month prior the event.

We did go shopping for "jewel" protection, nipple guards, body glide, a dry fit t-shirt and double layered socks. Needless to say, he was as prepared as he could be for the day of the event. But, there was another problem, he had promised his friend to go watch a live boxing match the day before the event. I don't think he realized that even a 22 year old needs a good night sleep before venturing out to run 26.2 miles, especially when that 22 year old did not train or prepare as required.

At the boxing match his friend had a little too much to drink so my son had to drive back to my house. His friend came in to sober up a bit before driving himself home. I'm in my bedroom trying to sleep, when all I can hear is my daughter telling his friend to be quiet because we had a Marathon to run in the morning. He was too drunk to even realize that he was sabotaging our attempt to sleep. My daughter called his sister hoping she could come to pick him up. When that failed my daughter called one of her friends. Her friend took her and my son's friend to the movies, and finally my son and I could go to sleep.

My son finished his First Marathon in under (4) hours. He slept for (12) hours, and limped the entire week. He could not understand why I was wide awake and could walk normally. All I could say to him was, "proper training, the right shoe and comfortable attire does make a big difference"!

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHAA his jewels!!!!!!!!! well good thing we got those covered. Oh man, this story was hilarious!!!!!

    My replay is going to be past 6 miles, that's a lot worse...

    ReplyDelete