Saturday, January 17, 2009

Post Surgery Blues

A couple of years ago, after my third marathon, I decided to obtain a Masters Degree. It was challenging as I was working full time and helping my son fund for my Bachelors. Adding icing on the cake, I had (2) surgeries which I had to recover from.
Homework, stress, the lack of time, and the surgeries did not leave much room for me to focus on maintaining a healthy body. As a result, I gained a large amount of weight.

When I started training again, I experienced every pain imaginable. My body was not accustomed to the excess weight. I could not finish (1) lap on the track. Frustration and fear set in. I thought I would never be able to complete another marathon.

In January of 2007, I started a strength training program. I later combined the program with a Weight Management Program in July of 2007. I was finally learning how to eat healthy and eat enough to maintain a healthy weight for life.Before, I was eating health foods, but not enough. I was depriving my body of the necessary nutrients it required to enhance my metabolism. I was forcing my body into hibernation mode, my body was storing fat it was not burning it.

Today, from not being able to run around the track once in 2007, I’ve completed (1) Marathon and (5) Half Marathons in 2008.I have lost 55 lbs, and 57.75 inches. My body fat was 42% in 2007, it is now down to 28%. In June of 2007, I wore a size 16; I now wear a size 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment