Friday, May 1, 2009

Be True to Your Training

Before I started my training, I placed a great deal of time on a Conditioning and Strength training program. I later combined them with a Weight Management Program. The programs combination taught me how to eat healthy and maintain a healthy weight for life. The best part was that the healthy foods just gave me much more energy and strength.

Once I developed strong, regular conditioning and strength training habits, I applied the system to my ultimate desire to complete another Marathon. Training to complete a Marathon requires about (6) months preparation.

My goal during the week is to complete the exact or as close to as possible to the amount of miles I’ll be running on Saturdays when I do my endurance training.

I continued my conditioning and strength program during the week, but increased distance for my Saturday runs gradually. The distance increases from (1) mile the first week of training to (22) miles two weeks before the marathon. It is very important to increase the distance gradually to avoid injuries and set backs. It is also important to be true to the distance requirements on Saturdays. Although the preparation does not call for you to complete 26.2 miles the actual marathon distance during training, it’s only 4.2 additional miles on the day of the marathon which you have to go.

I remember finishing my first Marathon which “changed my life forever”, I immediately anxious to start training for the next event. I thought it would be easy. I thought “I just ran a Marathon; the next one will be much easier”.

But, it was not that simple. First my body had to recover from the event. In order to recover properly, I had to take it easy, somewhat like the beginning of the training. It takes (1) week per hour of the duration the event. If it takes someone (4) hours to complete a Marathon, their recovery time is (4) weeks. After these weeks, the Saturday endurance runs can be challenging again.

Remember be true to your training to guarantee an exciting finish, and a rewarding life changing event.

No comments:

Post a Comment